Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Book to movies and misc.

I've seen a few book-to-movies this year and thought I'd update them here instead of procrastinating like always.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest (Swedish version) finally watched it on Netflix and thought it was pretty good. There were some changes as to be expected but nothing too far from the main plot line at least. The husband like this movie the most from the series.

Water for Elephants I borrowed from the library (score! I love the library). I was a little nervous with Robert Pattinson (of Twilight fame) playing the male lead but he did surprisingly well! Reese Witherspoon was lovely like always. My biggest complaint was that the character of Uncle Al was cut out completely and that left August to fill the role of ringmaster and owner of the circus. Other changes were minor in comparison for me. Over all I loved the film.

The Hunger Games saw this in the theater with the hubs. I thought it was great. The acting was really good and after this and X-Men First Class I am really liking Jennifer Lawrence. And Liam Hemsworth is a very attractive young man : ) Personally I thought the connection between Katniss and Peeta was a little lost especially with the cutting of a key scene (the hovercraft scene at the end of the games) but on the flip side the hubs, who hasn't read the books, thought  the connection was there. The movie was filled with action but wasn't too gory or cheesy. And I thought the addition of the announcers giving play-by-play on the going ons of the arena really helped fill in people who have not read the books on how the games and the arena work. We both really liked it.

On an unrelated note... due to a pipe bursting in the wall in our apartment I missed the Christopher Moore book signing in my area. So so bummed.

No comments: