Thursday, May 17, 2012

Book #22 Week #20, The Servants of Twilight by Dean Koontz

The Servants of Twilight by Dean Koontz (originally published under a pen name btw) probably wasn't the best pick for me. Not the books fault though. I actually finished The Lovely Bones last Thursday May 11th so I started reading this book that weekend and on Monday the 14th my mother passed away : (

But I kept with it to keep my mind off of things. The Servants of Twilight is set in the 1980's and follows single mother Christine and her six year old son Joey. As they are leaving the mall one afternoon they encounter a seemingly ordinary old woman. As luck would have it though the woman is crazy and believes Joey is the devil himself coming back to rule the world for a thousand years.

Basically the crazy lady, Mother Grace, has her own following and plenty of people who are willing to do as she bids. Without much help from the police Christine hires a private investigator to help her and Joey get to the root of the problem and keep them save. Time and time again the followers of Grace are able to find Charlie, Christine and Joey no matter where they hide. If you are like me you will find yourself wondering if there are supernatural powers at play and who really are the good guys.

In the end the book was entertaining and suspenseful but probably not something I'd insist upon others. But I did pick it up in the clearance bin at Target for less that three dollars so it was worth the price paid!

No comments: