Sunday, May 20, 2012

Book #23 Week #20, Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James

After waiting for what seems like forever on the library waiting list (in reality maybe 4 weeks) I finally got my hands on Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James. I had to read it to see what all the fuss was about and I can't say I was disappointed! It was a nice distraction from the emotional roller coaster I've been on this past week.

There were somethings that bugged me in Fifty Shades but we'll get to those in a moment. The story starts off with the last week at college for twenty-one year old innocent Anastasia Steele. She has been commissioned to conduct an interview for the school paper by her best friend and flu ridden roommate. Ana goes into the interview completely unprepared and finds herself drawn to the handsome, young entrepreneur Christian Grey. The pair are drawn to each other but despite repeated warnings from Mr. Grey to stay away Ana just can't do that and neither can he.

Although he is charming and handsome, Mr. Grey is an emotionally damaged man and he is hiding his seriously kinky sexual life from Ana because of her lack of experience. After learning of this side of Christian, Ana must choose between going on with her life alone or submitting to Christians demands which comes with emotional and physical tolls.

I really liked Fifty Shades of Grey so much so that I can't wait to get the next book (of which I am currently #67 on the waiting list out of three copies, but only #38 out of five copies for book three how odd!). It wasn't as bad as I was expecting from a first time author of fan fiction and all. I know the author had Twilight in mind when writing this series but the similarities got on my nerves personally. Ana was too clumsy, self-conscious, innocent just like Bella. Christian was a secret keeping, ladies man just like Edward. And surprise, surprise Ana has a best friend, Jose, who is way more into her than she to him just like Bella and Jacob. But that would be easy to look past if you haven't read Twilight : )

My other issue (and this might have only come to light because someone else mentioned to me) was the use of the term "inner goddess". I understand why it is there and so often, to show the difference between the "inner goddess" and Ana's regular conscious, but still! I hate terms like goddess and diva and the like. But the story line was decent and there was a lot of "action" so I can look past that. Besides I, like a lot of women, have developed a thing for Mr. Grey.

Quote:
“This is a man in need. His fear is naked and obvious, but he's lost. . . Somewhere in his darkness.
His eyes wide and bleak and tortured. I can soothe him. Join him briefly in the darkness and bring him into the light.”

No comments: