Sunday, April 1, 2012

Book #15 Week #13, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen is a work of fiction but is written in a very autobiographical style. Our narrator is ninety year old, or is it ninety-three year old, Jacob Jankowski. After breaking a hip Jacob is sent to live in an old folks home. He is miserable but determined to walk on his own again and prove he does not need to be there.

Jacob notices a gaggle of old women huddled around a big window and goes to investigate. Not much happens in their day to day lives so the happenings on the other side of the window sometimes provide entertainment for the residents. However today is no ordinary day, a circus setting up is what is going on outside. Instantly Jacob is reminded of a life he left behind so many, many years ago.

Sara Gruen does a wonderful job transitioning back an forth between present day Jacob and the Jacob of the past, a twenty-three year old aspiring veterinarian. It is finals week in his senior year at Cornell University when a terrible tragedy occurs. Unable to cope Jacob finds himself wandering without a purpose until night falls and he decides to jump aboard a passing train. Little did he know it was not any old train but the train of the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth.

Water for Elephants is really interesting. I enjoyed it a lot although it wasn't a book I couldn't put down (maybe just having finished The Hunger Games had something to do with that or maybe not). I was surprised at how much I liked reading and learning about circus life. I have to say it was impressive the amount of research that went into this book.

In the end what I really took away from this book is that even if you have your life all planned out, often a wrench is thrown in that derails the whole plan and that is not necessarily a bad thing.

"I want her to melt into me, like butter on toast. I want to absorb her and walk around for the rest of my days with her encased in my skin. I lie motionless, savoring the feeling of her body against mine. I'm afraid to breathe in case I break the spell.”

No comments: