Sunday, April 29, 2012

Book #19 Week #17, Blind Sight: A Novel by Meg Howrey

Blind Sight: A Novel by Meg Howrey. This was a new one for me, I don't believe I've ever read a book with a teenage male narrator until now. Blind Sight follows seventeen year old Luke. I like Luke, like me he loves science and needs evidence before he will believe in anything, but Luke has a very interesting home life. He lives in Delaware with his New Age, hippy, bohemian mother, his religious grandmother, and two older half sisters Aurora and Pearl.


It is the summer before his senior year in high school and Luke is spending it with the father he never knew in California. When Luke was born (the result of a fling) his father was young and carried on with his life, moved away, changed his name and become a big TV star. His mother Sara (not a fan of TV) didn't even realize this until Mark contacted her in hopes of finally meeting his son. 


Even though this book was on my reading list for some time I found myself passing up in the library over and over. I really wasn't sure if I could connect with a book about a teenage boy but I was wrong! I enjoyed Luke's maturity and the quirky people all around him. I've read complaints about how the narrative changes from first person (Luke) to third person (Luke writing college essays) but I liked it. I think the essays gave insight into Luke's personal life and relationships that would have been lost otherwise. In the end, after spending most of the book together, Luke and Mark bond really well and Luke returns home to the funny women in his life and a twist I didn't see coming! If anyone else has read Blind Sight I'd LOVE to hear your take on that.


Quote:
“Without evidence, you just have hope, which is nice, but not reliable.”

No comments: