Monday, November 18, 2013

Book #74 Allegiant (Divergent #3) by Veronica Roth

Wow. Wow. Wow.
This book was amazing, the series was amazing. So glad I read it. I was very excited when I read Divergent and that excitement carried over into Insurgent and then to Allegiant. Overall I did not have one complaint about the Divergent series.

**Major spoilers**
Allegiant was action packed all the way through and so much was revealed it made my head spin. Okay maybe with all that happens in Allegiant it really could have been spaced out over two books but still.  I did not see the bombshell of the city being a government controlled testing ground coming. I had no clue what was going on in the outside world but that caught me off guard (I do wonder what is taking place in the rest of the world while the U.S. is being run that way though). I know lots of people complained about the ending but even though I was shocked and cried like a baby over Tris' death it worked and it worked well.

So many couples in YA books survive these great catastrophes together and I am not saying Tris should have died to break the mold but it makes sense. Not everyone can survive these great missions and impossible odds. Trust me I wanted the happy ending too and I still tear up when I think of Tris dying. I am glad the story didn't stop there though and we got to see what life after the fact was like for Tobias. That part where he is talking about wanting to look at Caleb because he is so hungry for just one last glimpse of Tris... heartbreaking.

If you haven't read what Veronica Roth said about the ending herself, you should. I think it really helps shed some light on why Tris died:
On the ending of Allegiant

Trailer for the movie, which looks great and Theo James makes one good looking Four:
Official Divergent Trailer

Quote:
“There are so many ways to be brave in this world. Sometimes bravery involves laying down your life for something bigger than yourself, or for someone else. Sometimes it involves giving up everything you have ever known, or everyone you have ever loved, for the sake of something greater.

But sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes it is nothing more than gritting your teeth through pain, and the work of every day, the slow walk toward a better life.

That is the sort of bravery I must have now.”

No comments: