Monday, November 18, 2013

Book #72 Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

I'm just going to start off by saying I liked this book so much better than Gone Girl.

This is the story of thirty-two year old Libby Day. When she was seven her teen aged brother was convicted of the murders of their mother and two sisters, somehow Libby escaped the carnage. In fact Libby herself even testified against her brother and had always felt 100% secure in what she heard and saw that night. Well that is until Libby starts running out of money and agrees to do some meet and greets with the Kill Club to earn some extra cash. Turns out this Kill Club believes that big brother Ben is innocent and in fact the evidence against him doesn't line up as neatly as Libby thought it did.

Dark Places is well written like Gone Girl but this one felt much more believable to me. I thought it was suspenseful and mysterious, I honestly had a very hard time guessing just what was going to happen. I am very curious to see how Sharp Objects compares in this line up.

Quotes:
“When I was fourteen, I thought a lot about killing myself—it’s a hobby today, but at age fourteen it was a vocation. On a September morning, just after school started, I’d gotten Diane’s .44 Magnum and held it, babylike, in my lap for hours. What an indulgence it would be, to just blow off my head, all my mean spirits disappearing with a gun blast, like blowing a seedy dandelion apart. But I thought about Diane, and her coming home to my small torso and a red wall, and I couldn’t do it. It’s probably why I was so hateful to her, she kept me from what I wanted the most.”

No comments: