Monday, December 12, 2011

Tatiana and Alexander by Paullina Simons

Wow where to begin? I have heard some people did not like Tatiana and Alexander very much but I loved it! I found this book to be very emotional. After The Bronze Horseman I did not think Paullina Simons could give me much more to cry over but I was wrong!

Tatiana and Alexander takes us through three stories simultaneously. First the back story of Alexander and his loving parents and their struggle in their new country. Second the story of Tatiana and her new life in America with her new son. And finally Alexander's hard and difficult time in the Soviet Union as he tries in vain to make his way back to Tatiana's arms.

I really loved learning more about Alexander. It was quite interesting to read about his childhood and upbringing.  Then we learn how Alexander became a man and how he got involved with the evil Dimitri. We journey with Alexander through his war/prison life and along the way get to hear some of his memories of his time with Tatiana. Those were by far my favorite parts.

Reading about Alexander being left behind in the Soviet Union was very sad and difficult but it was just as sad reading about Tatiana adjusting to her new lonely life. People always seem to be drawn to Tatiana. They are concerned for her, care about her and try to help her become normal again. However Tatiana struggles to move on and in many ways she just doesn't want to.

All in all I found the novel very exciting. Expect action and betrayal and a couple of old faces popping in. I found myself wondering the whole time I read Tatiana and Alexander if our two heartbroken lovers would ever reunite. It is very hard to imagine how their reunion would ever be possible being separated by countries, ocean, war and prison but if there is a will there is a way...... now on to the third and final book The Summer Garden!

No comments: