Sunday, January 8, 2012

Book #1 Week #1, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Book #1 was The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I have to admit I really had no desire to read this book. I would often see it at the book store and wouldn't give it the time of day. I believe I felt this way because it is so popular and I don't really like to jump on bandwagons. However the book was loaned to me and it sat on my desk for a few weeks before I decided to read it for the first week of my 52 books challenge and let me just say I could not put it down! It only took me two days to finish!

The book started off rather slow or maybe I was just exhausted but it picked up rather quickly. One of our main characters is Mikael Blomkvist, a journalist convicted of libel and sentenced to three months imprisonment.  Mikael is hired by Henrik Vanger to investigate the 40 year old disappearance of Vanger's favorite niece.

Seems pretty cut and dry but oh no! The Vanger family is full of dark secrets, hatred, anger and mystery. Mikael hires the dark, pierced and tattooed Lisbeth Salander to aide him on his quest. Turns out she is as mysterious as the case they are trying to solve.

This story took so many twists and turns that I could not imagine what was going to happen next! The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a thrill ride from beginning (okay maybe middle) to end. Honestly the ending really pulled on my sappy side and I felt so bad for Lisbeth. I cannot wait to get through the next book in the series The Girl who Played with Fire to see how that situation resolves itself, if it does at all.

All in all I really enjoyed this book. My husband and I also watched the Swedish film version of the novel and it was a really good adaptation. A few minor changes here and there but overall excellent!

No comments: