Monday, July 16, 2012

Book #33 week #28, City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments #2) by Cassandra Clare

While I enjoyed City of Bones I LOVED City of Ashes (the second book in The Mortal Instruments series).  **Warning if you haven't read book one there will be spoilers in this post read on at your own risk.**

Clary is now living with Luke, her father like figure who is part human, part Shadowhunter, part werewolf. Her mother is still in a coma and Clary is still coming to terms with the feelings she has for a boy who turns out to be her brother! (I was so upset over that). Poor Clary, poor Jace. Luckily, or unluckily, the two don't have much time to dwell on this issue since Downworlder youth are turning up dead and drained of blood.

All signs point to Valentine after he steals the Soul-Sword and needs blood to unlock its demon releasing capabilities. Meanwhile the Inquisitor has been sent to investigate Jace and decide how he will be punished for his actions in the first book. But the Inquisitor is not all that she seems. She has some sort of personal agenda going on and this makes her very scary indeed.

I thought City of Ashes was wonderfully written. It is full of action, suspense, drama and love problems galore! I couldn't put it down. I feel horrible for Jace and Clary, maybe it was just me but I felt there was some hinting going on that we don't know the whole story here and somehow this mess will be resolved. Maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part!

Quotes:

“Every time you almost die, I almost die myself”

“Of course she did. I'm a dangerous criminal. or hadn't you heard?" Jace heard the acid in his own tone, saw Alec finch, and was meanly, momentarily, glad.
"She didn't call you a criminal, exactly..."
"No, I'm just a very naughty boy. I do all sorts of bad things. I kick kittens. I make rude gestures at nuns.”

No comments: