Sunday, March 4, 2012

Book #9 Week #9, The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger is a book I have been wanting to read for quite sometime. The "wife" is Clare and the "time traveler" is Henry. Henry has a defect in his DNA which causes him to travel through time at random. Although he has no control over his travels Henry mostly finds himself in the past visiting Clare throughout her childhood. In fact the first time she meets Henry he is 36 and she is 6 but in reality she is only eight years younger than he is.

I'm going to be honest here and try not to give too much away. I hate a love-hate relationship with The Time Traveler's Wife. I loved how the story was told from both points of view, I hated how this could be a little confusing if I was not paying a lot of attention to dates or who was "talking" at the moment. I loved how the story follows their journey completely, I hated how sometimes it seems like much was lost in trying to fit so much in one book. I HATED the ending, I NEEDED more, so many questions I had.

The story was great but I wanted to hear more of the happy times, seems like there was a lot of focus on the hard times, maybe it's just seemed that way to me I'd love to hear other opinions on that. I also wanted to hear more about Henry and Clare's relationships with other characters of the book. It felt like after they were married the story just rushed by. That's about all I can say without going into serious detail so I leave you with my favorite quote:

Time is priceless, but it’s Free. You can't own it, you can use it. You can spend it. But you can't keep it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back.”

No comments: